TV personality Harumi Kurihara of “Your Japanese Kitchen” has a very delicious gyoza recipe.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
*100g Chinese cabbage
*1 tbsp chopped garlic chives
*1/4 chopped Japanese leek
*150g ground pork
*1 tbsp chopped ginger
*1/2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
*1 tbsp Chinese soup paste
*1 tbsp hot water
*25 dumpling wrappers (round type)
*1/2 cup / 100ml water
*1 tsp plain flour
1. Chop finely the garlic chives, Chinese cabbage, and cabbage.
2. Sprinkle salt on the Chinese cabbage and cabbage in the bowl, mix them lightly, and let them stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Squeeze water out of the vegetables with a kitchen clothe.
3. Put the sesame oil in a frying-pan, and fry the chopped garlic.
4. Put the ground pork, Chinese cabbage, cabbage, garlic chives, and Japanese leek, ginger in the bowl, add Chinese rice wine, Chinese soup, and 1 tbsp Chinese soup paste dissolved in 1 tbsp of hot water, and mix them together. Add the salt, pepper, and the fried garlic, and mix them until they become paste like.
5. Scoop the mixture onto a pastry skin with a knife or spoon. Put the mixture on each pastry skin and fold it over.
6. Put the salad oil in the heated frying-pan, and put the dumplings in a circle. Pour the flour dissolved in water, and place the lid on. Keep the flame low. When the water has almost evaporated, pour a little salad oil around the dumplings, place the lid on, and turn the heat high. Cook the gyoza until the bottom gets crisp and brown on one side. And turn over to a plate and brown the other side.
Courtesy of NHK “Your Japanese Kitchen”