Pad Thai is a very popular Thai dish. Thai cuisine is a mixture of Eastern and Western dishes. The characteristics of Thai cooking are sour, sweet, salty, and bitter flavors.
Prepare Pad Thai for 2 servings
2 Big tbsp. of palm sugar
3 tbsp. concentrated tamarind juice
3 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. oyster sauce
Prepare ingredients to cook the noodle: (You probably will find all these ingredients at Asian markets)
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. minced shallot
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. cut yellow tofu (regular tofu ok)
1 tbsp. sweet radish (minced)
2 handful thin noodle if you can’t find the specific one, just use any noodle, mung bean noodle is also good. (Soak the noodle in regular water for 2 hours)
1 handful of a garlic-like vegetable >>> garlic Chives/ Chinese Chives.
10 big shrimps (peeled, De-veined and cooked)
1 handful bean sprouts
1 tsp. dried red chili powder
2 tbsp. roasted peanut (crushed)
1 tsp. sugar
4-5 branches of Uuicnri leaves/ garlic Chives/ Chinese Chives.
1 piece of sliced lime
1.Heat the pan and add palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice, oyster sauce and a little bit of water. Now used medium or low heat to let the sauce boiled and get thick. Keep stirring. Make sure you don’t burn the sauce. Gold pad Thai is good pad Thai. Be careful, it will be bitter if you put max heat and burn it.
2.Taste the sauce and make it the way you like. Some people love it more sweet and some just love it a little more salty but the trick of Pad Thai sauce is the well-balance of 3 tastes, sweetness, sourness and saltiness. So change it the way you like. If you like it sweet, keep the taste the way it is will be right taste for you. However, my trick is to add some Maggi soy sauce to make it more salty as my husband love it that way.
3.When the sauce get thick enough, remove from the stove.
Next, we will cook the pad Thai noodles.
1. In a different pan, heat the pan and add vegetable oil. When the pan is hot, add garlic and shallot Fry until it has aromatic smell.
2. Next, add tofu and sweet radish.
3. Now, add noodle and 4 tbsp of the sauce we made from earlier. (that’s for 1 serving). You can keep adding the sauce of the amount of the noodle is more than one handful. Make sure you don’t add too much because the noodle will be too wet and overcook. (add it little by little) Then, make a quick stir.
You may want to pick the noodle and taste it to see if your noodle is cooked right.
4. If you like bean sprouts and the sliced garlic Chives/ Chinese Chives to be cooked, add it in this step.
5. Push the noodle aside. Add the egg and cook it until it is half way done then mix it with the noodle. Now add shrimps and mix.
6. Turn off the fire. Arrange the noodle on a plate. Put dried chili pepper, sugar, roasted peanut, fresh bean sprouts, one piece of lemon and the garlic Chives/ Chinese Chives on a side.
Courtesy of joysthaifood.com